- independence(def 1).
- a territory not under the control of any other power.
- (initial capital letter) Ecclesiastical.
- the principle that the individual congregation or church is an autonomous and equalitarian society free from any external ecclesiastical control.
- the polity based on this principle.
Origin of independency
Related Words for independencyright, indulgence, bent, facility, abandonment, sweep, flexibility, leeway, self-government, autonomy, prerogative, liberty, laxity, discretion, latitude, scope, sovereignty, immunity, play, ability
Examples from the Web for independency
Historical Examples of independency
He has fought for that independency, for which Mr. Jefferson only wrote.The Life of John Marshall (Volume 2 of 4)
Albert J. Beveridge
In him the transition from Independency to Individualism is completed.A Century of Science and Other Essays
None are in a state of independency on their fellow-creatures.Munster Village
Such was Independency when it flourished all over East Anglia.East Anglia
J. Ewing Ritchie
I don't see how you could lay out part of your independency to more advantage.The Heiress;
- a territory or state free from the control of any other power
- another word for independence
- (esp in the Congregational Church) the principle upholding the independence of each local church or congregation