- absolutely necessary, essential, or requisite: an indispensable member of the staff.
- incapable of being disregarded or neglected: an indispensable obligation.
- a person or thing that is indispensable.
Origin of indispensable
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for indispensability
Relying on their indispensability, they quietly erected a synagogue in about 1626.History of the Jews, Vol. IV (of VI)
Foremost in importance, in indispensability, among her duties are these Sunday ones.Red as a Rose is She
I have nothing to do with its possibility, but only with its indispensability.Lectures on Art
By consequence, it is evident that supreme trial is an indispensability to the best development of either individuals or nations.Defenseless America
When will some profound writer give us an essay on the Indispensability of the Superfluous?A Top-Floor Idyl
George van Schaick
- absolutely necessary; essential
- not to be disregarded or escapedan indispensable role
- an indispensable person or thing
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for indispensability
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper