- excessive enthusiasm for acquiring knowledge.
- Digital Technology.
- an obsessive need to constantly check emails, social media websites, online news, etc.: The fear of being out of the loop, not in the know, fuels infomania, especially among teens.
- the effects of this obsession, especially a decline in the ability to concentrate: She attributes her increasingly poor “life management skills” to infomania.
Origin of infomania
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for infomania
Panicked, I reached out to hoarding experts, who often refer to any kind of obsessive digital collecting as “infomania.”
Infomania, they say, is more subtly crippling than physical hoarding.
- an obsessive need or desire for factual information
- an obsession with keeping up to date with one's emails, text messages, etc
C20: from info 1 + -mania
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012