- deficient in human sensibility, acuteness of feeling, or consideration; unfeeling; callous: an insensitive person.
- not physically sensitive: insensitive skin.
- not affected by physical or chemical agencies or influences: insensitive to light.
- not readily responsive or aware: insensitive to the needs of the peasants.
Origin of insensitive
Related Words for insensitivecrass, unresponsive, unkind, heartless, uncaring, aloof, bloodless, hard, hard-boiled, hardened, hardhearted, obtuse, stony, tactless, thick-skinned, tough, unconcerned, unfeeling, incurious, imperceptive
Examples from the Web for insensitive
Contemporary Examples of insensitive
Many of the agents were insensitive and crass, shouting insults and expletives at the detainees in Spanish.This Church Is Reviving the Sanctuary Movement to Shelter Undocumented Immigrants From Deportation
June 11, 2014
We did not intend to cause any offense, but in retrospect we realize that it was insensitive.RuPaul’s ‘She-Mail’ Exits Drag Race
April 14, 2014
“Amendment 1” seems to protect bullying on social media and insensitive and hurtful speech as well.P.J. O’Rourke: Who Really Actually Wants This Bill of Rights?
P. J. O’Rourke
April 12, 2014
When Sara took her case before a panel of faculty members, she said she found them combative and insensitive.Columbia Announces Changes To School Sex Assault Policy
January 31, 2014
They do fantastic work across the world, and I would hate for their reputation to be damaged by his insensitive jokes.Amnesty International U.K. Board Chairman Resigns Over Crude Jokes
August 14, 2013
Historical Examples of insensitive
Calhoun drew a sample of blood from the insensitive area on Murgatroyd's flank.Pariah Planet
Should it not be considered a mark of defective cultivation to be insensitive to color?A Color Notation
Albert H. Munsell
He was too insensitive to be reached by words, no matter how she pelted them at him.The Fighting Edge
William MacLeod Raine
So this that quivered in his thick fingers, too insensitive to feel it, was a valentine for him!Five Tales
All insensitive tissues are made with a single sample of hard gelatine.
- lacking sensitivity; unfeeling
- lacking physical sensation
- (postpositive foll by to) not sensitive (to) or affected (by)insensitive to radiation