- to be emphatic, firm, or resolute on some matter of desire, demand, intention, etc.: He insists on checking every shipment.
- to lay emphasis in assertion: to insist on the justice of a claim.
- to dwell with earnestness or emphasis (usually followed by on or upon): to insist on a point in a discussion.
- to assert or maintain firmly: He insists that he saw the ghosts.
- to demand or persist in demanding: I insist that you see this thing through.
Origin of insist
Synonyms for insistSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for insistcontend, urge, reiterate, repeat, request, maintain, assert, vow, demand, press, hold, swear, require, importune, asseverate, persist, aver
Examples from the Web for insist
Contemporary Examples of insist
The only great thing he did as governor was to insist that the death penalty was just wrong.Mario Cuomo: An OK Governor, but a Far Better Person
January 2, 2015
No crimes were committed by Sony with the possible exception of all those Adam Sandler movies they insist on making.The Disaster Story That Hollywood Had Coming
December 17, 2014
They all insist that Health Republic/MagnaCare had not told their billing departments that I was out of network.My Insurance Company Killed Me, Despite Obamacare
November 24, 2014
But veterans of his campaign for Senate and people close to him insist that Webb is taking a serious look.Hillary Gets a Challenger and He’s a Marine
November 21, 2014
But he insist his character, Petel (Hebrew for raspberry) has a universal appeal.
Historical Examples of insist
"Then I must insist that you appoint your successor," said Aspasia.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
Did you not insist on going home with Hester Paine, when I had offered my escort?Brave and Bold
They want to get into the garage; they insist on washing the car.Her Father's Daughter
The Sphinx is a woman, as I will insist to my dying day, if it were my last word!It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
The Thought had been wise not to insist too much on recognition.The Incomplete Amorist
- to make a determined demand (for)he insisted that his rights be respected; he insisted on his rights
- to express a convinced belief (in) or assertion (of)he insisted that she was mad; he insisted on her madness