- to place in position or connect for service or use: to install a heating system; to install software on a computer.
- to establish in an office, position, or place: to install oneself in new quarters.
- to induct into an office or the like with ceremonies or formalities.
Origin of install
Synonyms for installSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for installplant, institute, invest, fix, introduce, station, place, lay, inaugurate, lodge, settle, ensconce, position, line, furnish, induct, instate
Examples from the Web for install
Contemporary Examples of install
Speaking of Grandma, The Wireless Joey is so simple she can install it herself.New Innovations Let You Watch TV Anywhere You Go
December 8, 2014
Then they install sump pumps to remove remnant toxic waters.Our Trip to The Climate War's Ground Zero
September 19, 2014
The Ferguson Police do have two dashboard cams, but Chief Tom Jackson says he lacks the $3,000 per camera cost to install them.If Ferguson P.D. Is Too Broke to Buy Body Cameras, Let’s Do It For Them
August 18, 2014
Parents can install an alarm on their outside door—although that, of course, costs money.Is It Wrong for Parents to Lock Up Their Disabled Kids?
August 4, 2014
Had Richard III been able to install a tape recorder in his palaces the ranting might well have been identical.Three Dicks: Cheney, Nixon, Richard III and the Art of Reputation Rehab
July 27, 2014
Historical Examples of install
Then we returned to France, our beautiful France, to install ourselves in the Tuileries.The Boy Life of Napoleon
I'll install a set of them in a car, and it will go like the wind.Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout
How could they get her out in order to install La Catiche in her place?Fruitfulness
Other plants have all parts separate, and require more work to install.The Automobile Storage Battery
O. A. Witte
I would have a fleet of parts ships and junior mechanics to install them.The Repairman
- to place (machinery, equipment, etc) in position and connect and adjust for use
- to transfer (computer software) from a distribution file to a permanent location on disk, and prepare it for its particular environment and application
- to put in a position, rank, etc
- to settle (a person, esp oneself) in a position or stateshe installed herself in an armchair