- the person, group, or organization whose life or property is covered by an insurance policy.
Origin of insured
- to issue or procure an insurance policy.
Origin of insure
Synonyms for insureSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for insured
Contemporary Examples of insured
At its most simplified, the revision allows big players more access to insured deposits while making certain types of bets.How Naive is Elizabeth Warren?
December 18, 2014
It has so far insured more than 200,000 people who had never been insured before, but it has to be renewed next year.Arkansas’s Blue Collar Social Conservatives Don’t Know What’s Coming
November 10, 2014
Throughout the state, the percentage of insured doubled in many counties.Inside the Democrats’ Godawful Midterm Election Wipeout
November 5, 2014
The castle was not insured against such a catastrophe, but the ensuing concerts helped fund the long reconstruction.Eminem Rocks Ireland: Slane Castle’s Latest Legendary Performer
August 20, 2013
I could go get a job in some industry instead of adjuncting, and then I would be insured, but it's nice to have options.More Obamacare from the Ground
June 7, 2013
Historical Examples of insured
There were scores entered in the race, and that insured a good attendance at the event.Frank Roscoe's Secret
The agility and bounds of the evening were insured only at a price like this.Self-Help
He meant to keep up her allowance, he said, and he had insured his life for her.The Harbor
"I would have insured her against even suspicion," he remarked.The Avenger
E. Phillips Oppenheim
Why, she went and insured all their lives aforehand, she did.
- covered by insurancean insured risk
- the person, persons, or organization covered by an insurance policy
- (often foll by against) to guarantee or protect (against risk, loss, etc)we insured against disappointment by making an early reservation
- (often foll by against) to issue (a person) with an insurance policy or take out an insurance policy (on)his house was heavily insured against fire; after all his car accidents the company refuses to insure him again
- another word (esp US) for ensure (def. 1), ensure (def. 2)
mid-15c., insuren, spelling variant of ensuren (see ensure). Took on its particular sense of "make safe against loss by payment of premiums" from mid-17c. (replacing assure in that meaning). Related: Insured; insuring.