- incised carving, as opposed to carving in relief.
- ornamentation with a figure or design sunk below the surface.
- a gem, seal, piece of jewelry, or the like, cut with an incised or sunken design.
- an incised or countersunk die.
- a figure or design so produced.
- a process in which a design, text, etc., is engraved into the surface of a plate so that when ink is applied and the excess is wiped off, ink remains in the grooves and is transferred to paper in printing, as in engraving or etching.
- an impression or printing from such a design, engraving, etc.
- to incise or display in intaglio.
Origin of intaglio
Related Words for intaglioillustration, inscription, etching, lithograph, woodcut, ingrain, chisel, inscribe, imprint, etch, embed, impression, scratch, cutting, print, chasing, intaglio, mezzotint, rotogravure, photogravure
Examples from the Web for intaglio
Historical Examples of intaglio
It is an intaglio beside a cathedral, a humming-bird beside an eagle.My Contemporaries In Fiction
David Christie Murray
I return to a strange perforated pebble, an intaglio from Dumbuck.The Clyde Mystery
One form of press is used for all manner of intaglio plate printing.The Building of a Book
The intaglio work on this side is not equal to that in cameo, on the other.Scarabs
Here we have an intaglio design which is prepared and prints white.The Invention of Lithography
- a seal, gem, etc, ornamented with a sunken or incised design, as opposed to a design in reliefCompare cameo
- the art or process of incised carving
- a design, figure, or ornamentation carved, engraved, or etched into the surface of the material used
- any of various printing techniques using an etched or engraved plate. The whole plate is smeared with ink, the surface wiped clean, and the ink in the recesses then transferred to the paper or other material
- an incised die used to make a design in relief