- devotion to intellectual pursuits.
- the exercise of the intellect.
- excessive emphasis on abstract or intellectual matters, especially with a lack of proper consideration for emotions.
- the doctrine that knowledge is wholly or chiefly derived from pure reason.
- the belief that reason is the final principle of reality.
Origin of intellectualism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for intellectualism
And this mix of intellectualism and faithfulness is filling an unmet need among students on many of these campuses.Can Christians Still Go to Harvard?
Kirsten Powers, Jonathan Merritt
October 12, 2014
These are institutions that are meant to promote the pursuit of intellectualism and honesty.Colleges Lawyer Up Before Claire McCaskill Rape Inquiry
June 6, 2014
There the American kids encounter high schools that are deeply, even shockingly, enamored of intellectualism.Why the World Is Smarter Than Us
August 9, 2013
Both shared an asceticism and intellectualism, encouraged by the Jesuits.Jerry Brown's Castro Trouble
A. L. Bardach
October 5, 2010
She was not an intellectual, but she was interested in the aesthetics of intellectualism.My Real Estate Obsession
May 12, 2010
Intellectualism, then, is another way in which we try to “play it safe.”
Intellectualism and gnosticism are not confined to the church.
Intellectualism is the term that best describes this attitude.A History of Mediaeval Jewish Philosophy
But the higher types of intellectualism appear to me slightly mad.Captain Macedoine's Daughter
But Intellectualism never perceived the difficulties lurking in it.Pragmatism
- development and exercise of the intellect
- the placing of excessive value on the intellect, esp with disregard for the emotions
- the doctrine that reason is the ultimate criterion of knowledge
- the doctrine that deliberate action is consequent on a process of conscious or subconscious reasoning
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for intellectualism
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper