- to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance: to invent the telegraph.
- to produce or create with the imagination: to invent a story.
- to make up or fabricate (something fictitious or false): to invent excuses.
- Archaic. to come upon; find.
Origin of invent
Synonyms for invent
- to create or devise (new ideas, machines, etc)
- to make up (falsehoods); fabricate
Word Origin for invent
late 15c., "find, discover," a back-formation from invention or else from Latin inventus, past participle of invenire "to come upon; devise, discover" (see invention). Meaning "make up, think up" is from 1530s, as is that of "produce by original thought." Related: Invented; inventing.