- in or on, or with reference to, the inside or inner part; internally.
- privately; secretly: Inwardly, he disliked his guest.
- within the self; mentally or spiritually: Look inwardly to discover the truth.
- in low or soft tones; not aloud.
- toward the inside, interior, or center.
Origin of inwardly
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for inwardly
I did a little Kantian reckoning and inwardly came down on Hartman's side.In A Very Deep Way: Remembering Rabbi David Hartman
February 21, 2013
I spent most of the day inwardly bracing myself for the piercing shriek of a siren to break the silence of the city.Overcast With A Chance Of Rockets
Ehud Zion Waldoks
November 23, 2012
I remember looking at Anat and thanking her inwardly for being brave enough to do what so many women in Israel would not.Cash, But Not Criticism
October 22, 2012
And it's a fair bet that Romney inwardly agrees with his economists more than his base.Mitt Romney's Leadership Secret
May 17, 2012
As to the Gifted, I have heard Tom say often, that he was certain he was in a fit, and had it inwardly.The Lamplighter
"It kinda looks that way, from here," said Chip, inwardly ashamed.Chip, of the Flying U
B. M. Bower
She listened, reflected, and "inwardly digested," the truths of the Gospel.Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II
Francis Augustus Cox
Yet all the while he was inwardly convinced that Lorenzi was Marcolina's first lover.Casanova's Homecoming
Inwardly I resolve afresh that I never will forgive that hated town.The Uncommercial Traveller
- within the private thoughts or feelings; secretlyinwardly troubled, he kept smiling
- not aloudto laugh inwardly
- with reference to the inside or inner part; internally
- archaic intimately; essentiallythe most inwardly concerned of the plotters
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for inwardly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper