- in or into the interior or inner part; inside.
- in or into a house, building, etc.; indoors: The fire was burning on the hearth within.
- on, or as regards, the inside; internally.
- inside an enclosed place, area, room, etc.: He was startled by a cry from within.
- in the mind, heart, or soul; inwardly.
- in or into the interior of or the parts or space enclosed by: within city walls.
- inside of; in.
- in the compass or limits of; not beyond: within view; to live within one's income.
- at or to some point not beyond, as in length or distance; not farther than: within a radius of a mile.
- at or to some amount or degree not exceeding: within two degrees of freezing.
- in the course or period of, as in time: within one's memory; within three minutes.
- inside of the limits fixed or required by; not transgressing: within the law.
- in the field, sphere, or scope of: within the family; within one's power.
- the inside of a place, space, or building.
Origin of within
Examples from the Web for within
Contemporary Examples of within
Without it, they say, the disease would surely kill her within two years.Should Teens Have The Right To Die?
January 8, 2015
Within a few swipes, I was already feeling that burst of romantic optimism you need the first day of the (Christian) new year.My Week on Jewish Tinder
January 5, 2015
Her travel clique has been known to arrive at an airport, bags packed, passport-in-hand, within hours of spotting a deal.‘We Out Here’: Inside the New Black Travel Movement
January 4, 2015
Within minutes, it seems, of the disclosures of these tragic events, large numbers of people chose a side and stuck to it.In 2015, Let’s Try for More Compassion
January 4, 2015
Even a relatively small 250-pound bomb could kill or injure friendly troops who are within 650 feet of the explosion.New U.S. Stealth Jet Can’t Fire Its Gun Until 2019
December 31, 2014
Historical Examples of within
Eudora, what is it within us, that listens where there is no sound?
Then I heard a mighty voice, that seemed to proceed from within the Parthenon.
That, however, is neither here nor there: but it got within two blocks of there at 11.25.
He found the restaurants moderate in price, and within his means.Brave and Bold
Within their own territory each one could act independently.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
- in; inside; enclosed or encased by
- before (a period of time) has elapsedwithin a week
- not beyond the limits of; not differing by more than (a specified amount) fromlive within your means; within seconds of the world record
- formal inside; internally
In addition to the idioms beginning with within
- within an ace of
- within bounds
- within call
- within reach
- within reason
- in (within) reason
- spitting distance, within
- wheels within wheels