- (usually initial capital letter) a member of an Italian association that became prominent in 1878, advocating the redemption, or the incorporation into Italy, of certain neighboring regions (Italia irredenta) having a primarily Italian population.
- a member of a party in any country advocating the acquisition of some region included in another country by reason of cultural, historical, ethnic, racial, or other ties.
- pertaining to or supporting such a party or its doctrine.
Origin of irredentist
Examples from the Web for irredentism
The west shut its eyes tight and threw money at the bad spirits of irredentism and re-emergent communism.
European Unionism clashed with brown-turning-black nationalism and irredentism.
And irredentism is one of the worst political plagues for all the three parties who usually suffer from it.The Inside Story Of The Peace Conference
Emile Joseph Dillon
The first motif is that of regional rivalry coupled with irredentism.
Bulgaria, motivated mainly by irredentism, fought on the German side during both world wars.
- a person who favours the acquisition of territory that once was part of his country or is considered to have been
- of, relating to, or advocating this belief
- (sometimes not capital) a member of an Italian association prominent in 1878 that sought to recover for Italy certain neighbouring regions (Italia irredenta) with a predominantly Italian population that were under foreign control
Word Origin and History for irredentism
1882, member of Italian political party which (after 1878) demanded the annexation of neighboring Italian-speaking regions (Trieste, S. Tyrol, Nice, Corsica, etc.), from Italian Irredentista, from (Italia) irredenta "unredeemed (Italy)." Related: Irredentism.