- said, done, or characterized by a lack of a sense of responsibility: His refusal to work shows him to be completely irresponsible.
- not capable of or qualified for responsibility, as due to age, circumstances, or a mental deficiency.
- not responsible, answerable, or accountable to higher authority: irresponsible as a monarch.
- an irresponsible person.
Origin of irresponsible
Synonyms for irresponsibleSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for irresponsiblecapricious, immature, thoughtless, immoral, carefree, devil-may-care, feckless, fickle, flighty, fly-by-night, giddy, harebrained, incautious, lax, loose, rash, scatterbrained, shiftless, unaccountable, undependable
Examples from the Web for irresponsible
Contemporary Examples of irresponsible
The most irresponsible comments however would have to be those of Donald Trump, since he should know better.2014: Revenge of the Creationists
Karl W. Giberson
December 27, 2014
In this context, and at this time, the action by Neil MacGregor and his Trustees might seem not merely naïve, but irresponsible.Britain Has Lost Its Marbles: Elgin Loan Will Appease Putin
December 5, 2014
Conning people into buying a book to prepare for an "Ebola apocalypse" is not just irresponsible, it's pathetic.The Sham, Scaremongering Guide to Ebola
November 20, 2014
“I think the attacks on Fareed are distorted, irresponsible, and unfair,” Weisberg emailed.Can Fareed Zakaria Survive A Plagiarism Firestorm?
November 12, 2014
This kind of irresponsible running of the mouth is precisely how medical conspiracies start.George Will, Fox News, and the Beginning of an Ebola Conspiracy
October 22, 2014
Historical Examples of irresponsible
Decatur Brown laughed—a light, irresponsible, bachelor laugh.Quaint Courtships
It is extraordinary how irresponsible one's thoughts are sometimes.The Burning Spear
She grew more like the old Helen, irresponsible and charming.Howards End
E. M. Forster
If he had not been weak and ill and irresponsible for what he was saying I think I should.The Rise of Roscoe Paine
Joseph C. Lincoln
It is these irresponsible writers who have made "history" to suit their own purposes.Aztec Land
Maturin M. Ballou
- not showing or done with due care for the consequences of one's actions or attitudes; reckless
- not capable of bearing responsibility
- archaic not answerable to a higher authority for one's actions