- Burl (I·cle Ivanhoe) [burl ik-uh l] /bɜrl ˈɪk əl/, 1909–1995, U.S. actor and folk singer.
- Charles Edward,1874–1954, U.S. composer.
- Frederic Eugene,1856–1937, U.S. inventor.
- James Mer·ritt [mer-it] /ˈmɛr ɪt/, 1824–95, U.S. lithographer.Compare Currier.
- a male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ives
Currier and Ives was a printmaking firm based out of New York City from 1834 to 1907.
In “Sleigh Ride,” the narrator is painting a scene so perfect that it could be featured on an iconic Currier and Ives print.
Few authors write more transparently about music than Swafford, who has also penned memorable lives of Brahms and Ives.The Best Biographies of 2014, Including Lives of Gandhi, the Koch Brothers, and Jefferson Davis
December 8, 2014
Scouting Report: Size-wise, Bob Costas (Syracuse '74) is clearly the underdog next to Oscar-winner Burl "Big Daddy" Ives.March Madness: Which Celebrity Alumni Will Win?
March 17, 2011
Ives and Norton are much used for red wines and sell for top prices.Manual of American Grape-Growing
U. P. Hedrick
Diamond Creek mouth was determined accurately by Ives in 1858.A Canyon Voyage
Frederick S. Dellenbaugh
Ives is absent—at Rome, I believe, though I did not meet him there.Glances at Europe
"I can't stand things that scuttle and slither and crawl," said Ives.
But they lowered the boom on Ives when he showed any resilience.
- Charles Edward. 1874–1954, US composer, noted for his innovative use of polytonality, polyrhythms, and quarter tones. His works include Second Piano Sonata: Concord (1915), five symphonies, chamber music, and songs
- Frederick Eugene. 1856–1937, US inventor of halftone photography
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012