- an escape from prison, especially by forcible means.
- Digital Technology.
- an instance of gaining access to the operating system of a smartphone, tablet, etc., especially one manufactured by Apple.
- a software program or piece of hardware used to accomplish this: You'll need a jailbreak to run unauthorized apps.
- an instance of circumventing restrictions on access to any computer system or digital content.
- Digital Technology. to gain access to the operating system of (a smartphone, tablet, etc., especially an Apple device), usually in order to run modified or unauthorized software.Compare root1(def 22a).
- Digital Technology. to engage in this practice: Manufacturers are trying to prevent jailbreaking.Compare root1(def 24).
Origin of jailbreak
Examples from the Web for jailbreak
Contemporary Examples of jailbreak
Lehman's script began after the jailbreak, focusing on the hero of the picture, an American who pursues Blake.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
There had been no question about his identity when his gang staged a jailbreak, killing the Allen County sheriff in the process.The Mystery Woman Who Tried to Outdo Dillinger
September 29, 2014
The accusations include several attacks on various prisons, including a 2011 jailbreak in which Morsi escaped.Hamas in the Crosshairs
July 26, 2013
On his Twitter account Tuesday, President Felipe Calderón called the jailbreak “deplorable.”Convicts Hunted After Mexican Prison Break Near Border
September 19, 2012
Such poisonous suspicions have only been deepened by the jailbreak.Pakistani Taliban Jailbreak: An Inside Job?
Ron Moreau & Sami Yousafzai
April 17, 2012
- Also: gaolbreak an escape from jail