- an escape from prison, especially by forcible means.
- Digital Technology.
- an instance of gaining access to the operating system of a smartphone, tablet, etc., especially one manufactured by Apple.
- a software program or piece of hardware used to accomplish this: You'll need a jailbreak to run unauthorized apps.
- an instance of circumventing restrictions on access to any computer system or digital content.
- Digital Technology. to gain access to the operating system of (a smartphone, tablet, etc., especially an Apple device), usually in order to run modified or unauthorized software.Compare root1(def 22a).
- Digital Technology. to engage in this practice: Manufacturers are trying to prevent jailbreaking.Compare root1(def 24).
Origin of jailbreak
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Also: gaolbreak an escape from jail
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for jailbroken
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper