- a seaport in NE Brazil.
[par-uh-ee-buh; Portuguese pah-rah-ee-bah]
- a state in E Brazil. 21,760 sq. mi. (56,360 sq. km). Capital: João Pessoa.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a state of NE Brazil, on the Atlantic: consists of a coastal strip, with hills and plains inland; irrigated agriculture. Capital: João Pessoa. Pop: 3 494 893 (2002). Area: 56 371 sq km (21 765 sq miles)
- Also called: Paraíba do Sul (ˈduː sul) a river in SE Brazil, flowing southwest and then northeast to the Atlantic near Campos. Length: 1060 km (660 miles)
- Also called: Paraíba do Norte (ˈduː ˈnɔrtə) a river in NE Brazil, in Paraíba state, flowing northeast and east to the Atlantic. Length: 386 km (240 miles)
- the former name (until 1930) of João Pessoa
- a port in NE Brazil, capital of Paraíba state. Pop: 931 000 (2005 est)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012