- beloved one; darling; sweetheart.
Origin of jo
Origin of joe2
- (sometimes lowercase) Informal. fellow; guy: the average Joe who works for a living.
- Informal. a personification of a typical, often unprepossessing representative of an occupation, personality trait, state of being, etc., that is expressed, sometimes metonymically, as a mock surname: Joe Lunchbucket working hard at some factory and paying his taxes year after year; political con artists relying on the gullibility of Joe Schmo.
- a male given name, form of Joseph.
Related Words for joescappuccino, espresso, caffeine, perk, mud, brew, java, decaf, decoction, mocha, demitasse, ink, joe
Examples from the Web for joes
Contemporary Examples of joes
For a moment, the Joes seem to have gained the upper hand and they attempt a break out.
Snake-Eyes beckons the Joes and they take cover in a corner.
Joes delegates all interactions with these employees to a single trusted associate, an old childhood friend.
I guarantee there are Joes who have made eight to ten million and are now retired and living quietly in Albuquerque.
Historical Examples of joes
He talks to the determinators and the joes don't worry you none.Alarm Clock
Everett B. Cole
Joes caution was justified by what followed after the Giants return home.Baseball Joe, Captain of the Team
Ive been a–watchin him and he has stood Joes mean fire like a hero.Fighting the Sea
Edward A. Rand
For Hughson had been Joes baseball idol for the last ten years.
But that clout of Joes was the real cheese, said Denton generously.
- the joes Australian informal a fit of depression
Word Origin for joes
- a Scot word for sweetheart
Word Origin for jo
- US and Canadian a man or fellow
- US a GI; soldier
Scottish form of joy, attested from 1520s as a term of endearment.
"coffee," by 1941, perhaps late 1930s, of unknown origin. Meaning "generic fellow, man" is from 1846, from the pet-form of Joseph (q.v.). Joe college "typical college man" is from 1932. Joe Blow "average fellow" is U.S. military slang, first recorded 1941.