- AnthonyMad Anthony, 1745–96, American Revolutionary War general.
- JohnMarion Michael MorrisonDuke, 1907–79, U.S. film actor.
- a township in N New Jersey.
- a city in SE Michigan, near Detroit.
- a male given name: from an Old English word meaning “wagonmaker.”
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- John, real name Marion Michael Morrison. 1907–79, US film actor, noted esp for his many Westerns, which include Stagecoach (1939), The Alamo (1960), and True Grit (1969), for which he won an Oscar
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
surname, by 1319, variant of Wain, representing wainwright, wainer (see wain) or perhaps "one who dwells by the tavern with the sign of the wain."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper