or joy stick
- Informal. the control stick of an airplane, tank, or other vehicle.
- Computers. a lever resembling this, used to control movement of a cursor or other graphic element for video games and computer graphics.Compare mouse(def 4), stylus(def 3).
- any leverlike switch for controlling, manipulating, guiding, or the like.
Origin of joystick
Examples from the Web for joystick
Contemporary Examples of joystick
All it takes is a look beyond the joystick, and local software shop, to get a glimpse at its shining promise.The New Revolution in Videogames
September 15, 2010
Historical Examples of joystick
The pilot pushes the joystick slowly forward and prepares to land.
For the daring and brilliant youth who held the joystick was a master-pilot, who understood every whim and fancy of his machine.Dastral of the Flying Corps
His hand had been jerking the joystick to plus one all this time and now he became consciously aware of this.Makers
Probably he was shot dead and fell over on to the joystick, which put the machine to its last dive.
Some one else has produced the latest thing in connections between the pilot's joystick and the Vickers gun.
- informal the control stick of an aircraft or of any of various machines
- computing a lever by means of which the display on a screen may be controlled used esp for games, flight simulators, etc