[joo r-uh; Latin yoo-rah]
- plural of jus.
[joo r-uh; French zhy-ra]
- a department in E France. 1952 sq. mi. (5055 sq. km). Capital: Lons-le-Saunier.
- Jura Mountains.
[juhs; Latin yoos]
- a right.
- law as a system or in the abstract.
Origin of jus1
From the Latin word jūs law, right
[zhy; English zhoos, joos]
- juice; gravy.
Compare au jus.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jura
Growers such as Pierre Overnoy and Jean-François Ganevat, in the Jura, are global benchmarks.The No Hangover Wine
November 17, 2013
But the sun is dropping behind Ben Cruachan and the Jura hills.The Book-Hunter
John Hill Burton
In the Alps the contortions are much greater than in the Jura.The Beauties of Nature
Sir John Lubbock
Jura derived its name from the red deer which once abounded on it.
Fossil remains of the Chilopoda are first met with in the Jura period.The History of Creation, Vol. II (of 2)
At Mouthe in the Jura mountains, there are said to be witch-hens that frighten eagles.Human Animals
- the plural of jus 1
- a department of E France, in Franche-Comté region. Capital: Lons-le-Saunier. Pop: 253 309 (2003 est)). Area: 5055 sq km (1971 sq miles)
- a canton of Switzerland, bordering the French frontier: formed in 1979 from part of Bern. Capital: Delémont. Pop: 69 200 (2002 est). Area: 838 sq km (323 sq miles)
- an island off the W coast of Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides, separated from the mainland by the Sound of Jura . Pop: 200 (2004 est). Area: 381 sq km (147 sq miles)
- a mountain range in W central Europe, between the Rivers Rhine and Rhône: mostly in E France, extending into W Switzerland
- a range of mountains in the NE quadrant of the moon lying on the N border of the Mare Imbrium
- a right, power, or authority
- law in the abstract or as a system, as distinguished from specific enactments
- a sauce
French: literally, juice
Word Origin and History for jura
French, literally "juice" (see juice).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper