- the row or set of keys on a piano, organ, or the like.
- a set of keys usually arranged in tiers, for operating a typewriter, typesetting machine, computer terminal, or the like.
- any of various musical instruments played by means of a pianolike keyboard, as a piano, electric piano, or organ.
- Also key, key in. Computers. to enter (information) into a computer by means of a keyboard.
- to set (text) in type, using a machine that is operated by a keyboard.
Origin of keyboard
Examples from the Web for keyboard
Contemporary Examples of keyboard
The general public has never paid much attention to his music, but other pianists know what this man can do at the keyboard.The Best Albums of 2014
December 13, 2014
Like his three brothers, Art, the Nevilles' keyboard player, has his thing on the side—the Meters, the band he took to Europe.The Stacks: The Neville Brothers Stake Their Claim as Bards of the Bayou
John Ed Bradley
April 27, 2014
Art led the family starship on keyboard and did his own good share of singing.The Cradle of Jazz, Blues and Gospel Endlessly Rocking
April 25, 2014
Carroll talks to me over the sound of an organ projecting from a Yamaha keyboard.This Civil War Reenactor Controls Christie’s Fate
March 5, 2014
As one of these images shows, every key punch was in the script and linked to a graphic of the keyboard.Space on Earth: The Secrets of Alfonso Cuaron’s ‘Gravity’
March 1, 2014
Historical Examples of keyboard
Then he went to the piano, lifted the lid and ran his fingers over the keyboard.
But he played, played furiously, and he smote the keyboard as if he hated it.
Their future neighbours are hoping that they will get one without a keyboard.
Perhaps there would be no longer our pianoforte, our keyboard.
But hit out on the keyboard a smashing chord and, pray, where is the variety in color?
- a complete set of keys, usually hand-operated, as on a piano, organ, typewriter, or typesetting machine
- (as modifier)a keyboard instrument
- (often plural) a musical instrument, esp an electronic one, played by means of a keyboard
- to set (a text, etc) in type, onto magnetic tape, or into some other medium, by using a keyboard machine