- the branch of mechanics that deals with pure motion, without reference to the masses or forces involved in it.
- Also called applied kinematics. the theory of mechanical contrivance for converting one kind of motion into another.
Origin of kinematics
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for kinematics
The similarity and aridity of kinematics textbooks in this country from around 1910 are most striking.
There has been in Germany a thread of continuity in the kinematics of mechanisms since the time of Reuleaux.
The following list of additional reference material on kinematics may be of help to readers who desire to do independent research.
His trilogy on kinematics and machine design is discussed by De Jonge, op.
This time hasmost certainly arrived for the science of kinematics.
- (functioning as singular) the study of the motion of bodies without reference to mass or forceCompare dynamics (def. 1)
C19: from Greek kinēma movement; see cinema, -ics
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for kinematics
"science of motion," 1840, from French cinématique (Ampère, 1834), from Greek kinesis "movement, motion" (see cite). Related: Kinematic (1864); kinematical.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The branch of mechanics dealing with the study of the motion of a body or a system of bodies without consideration given to its mass or the forces acting on it.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The branch of physics that deals with the characteristics of motion without regard for the effects of forces or mass. Compare dynamics.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.