- a city in and the capital of Moldavia (Moldova), in the central part.
- a region in NE Romania: formerly a principality that united with Wallachia to form Romania. Capital: Jassy.
- Official name Moldova. Formerly Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic. a republic in SE Europe: formed in 1940 from the former republic of Moldavia and the ceded Romanian territory of Bessarabia. 13,100 sq. mi. (33,929 sq. km). Capital: Kishinev.
Examples from the Web for kishinev
Historical Examples of kishinev
One of the criminal haunts of these incendiaries was situated at that time in Kishinev, the capital of semi-Moldavian Bessarabia.
In the fall of 1903 the judicial investigation in connection with the spring pogrom in Kishinev was nearing its end.
In Kishinev, a second pogrom was feared, calling forth an intensified emigration to America.
The entire liberal Russian press voiced its indignation against the Kishinev atrocities.
At the preliminary examination he frankly confessed that he had intended to avenge the Kishinev massacre by killing Krushevan.
- the Russian name for Chişinǎu
- another name for Moldova
- a former principality of E Europe, consisting of the basins of the Rivers Prut and Dniester: the E part (Bessarabia) became Moldova; the W part remains a province of Romania
Word Origin and History for kishinev
Latinized form of Moldova.