- on the knocker, British Slang. canvassing or selling door-to-door.
Origin of knocker
Related Words for knockercarper, caviler, censor, nitpicker, quibbler, faultfinder, hypercritic, knocker
Examples from the Web for knocker
Historical Examples of knocker
When he tried the knocker, a bobby came along and stopped him.The Black Bag
Louis Joseph Vance
What souvenir of a great man can compete with the knocker of his door?
Surely if any knocker is characteristic of its owner this one is.
A knocker of slender grace is the best feature of the hardware.The Colonial Architecture of Philadelphia
At the rat-tat-tat of the knocker her heart flew into her mouth.To-morrow
- an object, usually ornamental and made of metal, attached to a door by a hinge and used for knocking
- informal a person who finds fault or disparages
- (usually plural) slang a female breast
- a person or thing that knocks
- on the knocker Australian and NZ informal promptly; at onceyou pay on the knocker here
late 14c., agent noun from knock. Sense of "door banger" is by 1590s. Knockers "a woman's breasts" is slang attested from 1941.