- an act or instance of knocking out.
- the state or fact of being knocked out.
- a knockout blow.
- Informal. a person or thing overwhelmingly attractive, appealing, or successful.
- a panel in a casing, can, or box, especially of metal or plastic, so designed that it can readily be removed, as by punching, hammering, or cutting, to provide an opening into the interior: a knockout in a junction box.
- Machinery. a device for knocking something loose, as finished work from a lathe chuck.
- that knocks out: the knockout punch.
Origin of knockout
Related Words for knockoutblow, kayo, KO, TKO, smash, looker, success, beauty, belle, sensation, eyeful, stunner, vision, gem
Examples from the Web for knockout
Contemporary Examples of knockout
The Obama team has won the first round on the six-month agreement with Iran by a knockout.Obama Wins Round One on Iran
Leslie H. Gelb
December 4, 2013
Indeed, when asked about the “knockout game,” law enforcement has been skeptical.
With the “knockout game,” we have several cases in a handful of cities, as well as five reported deaths.
Have teenagers adopted a new game of random assaults, with the goal of a one-hit “knockout”?
She deliver a knockout performance, helping her clear the second big hurdle: living up to expectations.Oprah Winfrey Should Win an Oscar for ‘The Butler’
August 20, 2013
Historical Examples of knockout
There's a knockout comin' to the best of 'em, if they hang to the game long enough.
It was the seventeen-course night dinners and the foreign cooking that gave him the knockout.
If Jim has told you that I gave him a knockout to win the race, it's a lie, Pen!Still Jim
Honor Willsie Morrow
It's a blow below the belt, but it's a knockout for the moment.The Root of Evil
Those who had charge of the boxing never let a bout go to a knockout.In the Flash Ranging Service
Edward Alva Trueblood
- the act of rendering unconscious
- a blow that renders an opponent unconscious
- a competition in which competitors are eliminated progressively
- (as modifier)a knockout contest
- a series of absurd invented games, esp obstacle races, involving physical effort or skill
- informal a person or thing that is overwhelmingly impressive or attractiveshe's a knockout
- to render unconscious, esp by a blow
- boxing to defeat (an opponent) by a knockout
- to destroy, damage, or injure badly
- to eliminate, esp in a knockout competition
- informal to overwhelm or amaze, esp with admiration or favourable reactionI was knocked out by that new song
- to remove the ashes from (one's pipe) by tapping