- a city in and the capital of Ashanti district, in S Ghana.
- a former native kingdom and British colony in W Africa: now a region of Ghana. 9700 sq. mi. (25,123 sq. km). Capital: Kumasi.
- a native or inhabitant of Ashanti.
- the dialect of Akan spoken by the people of Ashanti.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for kumasi
The most imposing building in Kumasi is the fort, built in 1896.
Dick had heard of the frightful rites perpetrated at Kumasi.
Then we will dive into the forest, and will make for Kumasi.
In a flash he saw himself a prisoner, led to Kumasi, there to be slaughtered.
Kumasi relieved, there remained the task of crushing the rebellion.
- a city in S Ghana: seat of Ashanti kings since 1663; university (1961); market town for a cocoa-producing region. Pop: 862 000 (2005 est)
- an administrative region of central Ghana: former native kingdom, suppressed by the British in 1900 after four wars. Capital: Kumasi. Pop: 3 187 607 (2000). Area: 24 390 sq km (9417 sq miles)
- plural -ti or -tis a native or inhabitant of Ashanti
Word Origin and History for kumasi
1705, Asiantines, one of the Akan people of central Ghana; native name.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper