- annunciation(def 3).
- one of various days celebrated in honor of the Virgin Mary.
Origin of Lady Day
- BillieLady Day, 1915–59, U.S. jazz singer.
Examples from the Web for lady day
Historical Examples of lady day
What I intend to do is this;—to give up the property into your hands at Lady-day.Orley Farm
Rump-steaks are in best condition from Michaelmas to lady-day.The Cook's Oracle; and Housekeeper's Manual
At Lady-day last they had moved into the house at present used for the Hospital.Yarmouth Notes
Frederick Danby Palmer
Lady-day had come, and the notice, necessarily to be given at that period, was so given.The Last Chronicle of Barset
You are not to cane a man at Lady-day, because he may affront you at Midsummer.Two Addresses
- Billie. real name Eleanora Fagan; known as Lady Day. 1915–59, US jazz singer
- (often plural) mainly British
- a period in which a break is taken from work or studies for rest, travel, or recreationUS and Canadian word: vacation
- (as modifier)a holiday mood
- a day on which work is suspended by law or custom, such as a religious festival, bank holiday, etcRelated adjective: ferial
- (intr) mainly British to spend a holiday
Word Origin for holiday
- March 25, the feast of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary; one of the four quarter days in England, Wales and IrelandAlso called: Annunciation Day
see busman's holiday.