- a person who is not a member of the clergy; one of the laity.
- a person who is not a member of a given profession, as law or medicine.
Origin of layperson
- laymen and laywomen collectively.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for lay personparishioner, dilettante, outsider, proselyte, secular, novice, recruit, believer, member, follower, neophyte, laic, nonprofessional
- a person who is not a member of the clergy
- a person who does not have specialized or professional knowledge of a subjecta lay person's guide to conveyancing
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1972, gender-neutral version of layman.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper