- a shack or shed supported at one side by trees or posts and having an inclined roof.
- a roof of a single pitch with the higher end abutting a wall or larger building.
- a structure with such a roof.
Origin of lean-to
Related Words for leantoshed, shelter, lean-to, hut, cottage, cabin, encampment, tent, shack, shanty, penthouse, chalet, ranch, lodge, home, bungalow, building, box, apartment, dwelling
Examples from the Web for leanto
Historical Examples of leanto
He must look out to be near plenty of firewood and leanto material.
A leanto for the bivouacker can then be kept down to three pounds.
In making the leanto at home the lightest material should be used.
Be careful not to set the leanto on fire with the sparks from your camp fire.Outdoor Sports and Games
Claude H. Miller
The camp was simply a shed or leanto, open on one side, and in front of this shed the fire was built of beech and maple logs.Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper
Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock
- a roof that has a single slope with its upper edge adjoining a wall or building
- a shed or outbuilding with such a roof