- Also called leather jack. any of several carangid fishes having narrow, linear scales embedded in the skin at various angles, especially Oligoplites saurus, found in tropical American waters.
- Australian. a pancake or other dough fried over a campfire.
- the grub of the crane fly.
Origin of leatherjacket
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of various tropical carangid fishes of the genera Oligoplites and Scomberoides, having a leathery skin
- any of various brightly coloured tropical triggerfishes of the genus Monacanthus and related genera
- the greyish-brown tough-skinned larva of certain craneflies, esp of the genus Tipula, which destroy the roots of grasses, etc