- the upper house of a bicameral legislature.
- a unicameral legislature in a British colony consisting of the governor, official members appointed by the governor, and unofficial members representing the indigenous population.
- a committee composed of members of both houses of a state legislature that meets between sessions to study particular problems and develop programs for the next session.
Origin of legislative council
First recorded in 1855–60
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the upper chamber of certain bicameral legislatures, such as those of the Indian and Australian states
- the unicameral legislature of certain colonies or dependent territories
- (in the US) a committee composed of members of both chambers of a state legislature, that meets to discuss problems, construct a legislative programme, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012