- moneys owed; debts or pecuniary obligations (opposed to assets).
- Accounting.liabilities as detailed on a balance sheet, especially in relation to assets and capital.
- something disadvantageous: His lack of education is his biggest liability.
- Also li·a·ble·ness. the state or quality of being liable: liability to disease.
Origin of liability
Related Words for liabilitiesduty, culpability, accountability, burden, obligation, debt, mortgage, loan, inconvenience, damage, responsibility, involvement, exposure, susceptibility, onus, amenability, indebtedness, blame, compulsion, subjection
Examples from the Web for liabilities
Contemporary Examples of liabilities
That means insurers are involved in assessing both the liabilities involved in the airplane itself and of the airline.Flight 370 Didn’t Disappear: We Missed It
March 24, 2014
LS Fashion Limited is fully able to meet the company's liabilities and pay all suppliers and customers.L’Wren Scott Was Not Closing Label
March 21, 2014
Bush has the liabilities everyone knows—his last name, mostly, and that fire-in-the-belly business.Christie and the 7 Dwarves
February 5, 2014
The liabilities are there and if you want to take them, go for it.The Hit Heard Around the World
November 7, 2013
If the outcome is that they do reduce some of these liabilities, that could be an incentive for the filing.Wall Street’s Disconnect
October 22, 2013
Historical Examples of liabilities
If arrested, they can have no claim to exemption from the liabilities of criminals.The Works of Whittier, Volume VII (of VII)
John Greenleaf Whittier
Its liabilities were small, it was merely in want of ready-money.The Fortune of the Rougons
The most intangible of assets and the most unescapable of liabilities.Rope
The liabilities thus frankly stated, let us turn to the assets.The Legacy of Greece
How was he to pay up the liabilities of his bank shares from his dwindling practice?A Houseful of Girls
- accounting business obligations incurred but not discharged and entered as claims on the assets shown on the balance sheetCompare assets (def. 1)
- the state of being liable
- a financial obligation
- a hindrance or disadvantage
- likelihood or probability
Word Origin and History for liabilities
An obligation or debt.