noun Chiefly British.
Words nearby lie-down
Origin of lie-down
Definition for lie down (2 of 2)
verb (used without object), lay, lain, ly·ing.
- to pause for rest; stop activities, work, etc., temporarily.
- to lie unused: Ever since the last member of the family died, the old house has lain by.
- to be confined to bed in childbirth.
- Chiefly British. to stay in bed longer than usual, especially in the morning.
- to lie at rest; stay in bed.
- (of a ship) to dock or remain in dock.
- to be the duty or function of: The decision in this matter lies with him.
- Archaic. to have sexual intercourse with.
Origin of lie2
usage note for lie
British Dictionary definitions for lie down (1 of 4)
verb (intr, adverb)
British Dictionary definitions for lie down (2 of 4)
British Dictionary definitions for lie down (3 of 4)
verb lies, lying or lied
- to disprove
- to accuse of lying
Other words from lieRelated adjective: mendacious
Word Origin for lie
British Dictionary definitions for lie down (4 of 4)
verb lies, lying, lay (leɪ) or lain (leɪn) (intr)
- to be or rest (with)the ultimate decision lies with you
- archaic to have sexual intercourse (with)
- to keep or be concealed or quiet
- to wait for a favourable opportunity
- the position of the ball after a shota bad lie
- the angle made by the shaft of the club before the upswing
- the topography of the land
- the way in which a situation is developing or people are behaving
Word Origin for lie
Medical definitions for lie down
Idioms and Phrases with lie down (1 of 2)
Also, lie down on the job. Be remiss or lazy. For example, They fired Max because he was always lying down on the job. This expression alludes to lying down in the sense of “resting.” [Early 1900s]
Idioms and Phrases with lie down (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with lie
- lie down
- lie in
- lie in state
- lie in wait
- lie low
- lie through one's teeth
- lie with
- barefaced lie
- give the lie to
- (lie) in state
- lay of the land (how the land lies)
- let sleeping dogs lie
- make one's bed and lie in it
- take lying down
- white lie