- of or relating to Linnaeus, who established the binomial system of scientific nomenclature.
- noting or pertaining to a system of botanical classification introduced by him, based mainly on the number or characteristics of the stamens and pistils.
Origin of Linnaean
Examples from the Web for linnean
Historical Examples of linnean
If you will write you shall have the copy; if not I will give it to the Linnean Library.
If you refuse, please send it to the Linnean Society as communicated by me.
A drawing was taken of it, which was engraved and published in the Linnean Transactions.Delineations of the Ox Tribe
Have you seen Bentham's remarks on species in his address to the Linnean Society?More Letters of Charles Darwin
From these I was enabled to reduce it to its class and order in the Linnean system.The History of Sumatra
- of or relating to Linnaeus
- relating to the system of classification of plants and animals using binomial nomenclature
- Relating to the system of taxonomic classification and binomial nomenclature originated by Carolus Linnaeus. In the Linnean system, organisms are grouped according to shared characteristics into a hierarchical series of fixed categories ranging from subspecies at the bottom to kingdom at the top. Compare cladistics.