- Zoology. a polyp with a hard or stony structure, as a coral.
- Botany. any plant growing on the surface of rocks.
Origin of lithophyte
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for lithophyte
Lithophyte, lith′o-fīt, n. any one of the polyps whose substance is stony or hard, as corals.
- a plant that grows on rocky or stony ground
- an organism, such as a coral, that is partly composed of stony material
- A plant that grows on rock and derives its nourishment chiefly from the atmosphere.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.