- the common or ordinary person.
- Informal. the small, ordinary investor, as opposed to big investment institutions.
Origin of little man
First recorded in 1930–35
- a novel (1871) by Louisa May Alcott.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
- a man of no importance or significance
- British a tradesman or artisan operating on a small scale
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012