- extending high in the air; of imposing height; towering: lofty mountains.
- exalted in rank, dignity, or character; eminent.
- elevated in style, tone, or sentiment, as writings or speech.
- arrogantly or condescendingly superior in manner; haughty: to treat someone in a lofty manner.
- Nautical. noting a rig of a sailing ship having extraordinarily high masts.
- (of fabric or yarn) thick and resilient.
Origin of lofty
Synonyms for loftySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for lofty
Related Words for loftytowering, soaring, exalted, noble, utopian, grandiose, high-minded, ambitious, aerial, airy, raised, tall, sky-high, high-rise, lifted, skyscraping, skyward, spiring, benevolent, big
Examples from the Web for lofty
Contemporary Examples of lofty
Be reliable supports of the Songun revolution possessed of a lofty spirit and rich knowledge!North Korea's Top College: Brainwash U
December 13, 2014
Powell ranks with Patrick Smith in the hierarchy of Florida historical novelists and that is lofty territory, indeed.Book Bag: Overlooked Classic Books From the Sunshine State
Randy Wayne White
September 30, 2014
There is a tradition in this country stretching back to Thomas Jefferson of lofty ideals for our colleges and universities.College Must Be More Than Just a Classy Trade School
Michael S. Roth
August 30, 2014
As always, its leaders paid lip service to lofty ideals to obscure the ugly base alloys.A Brief History of Wingnuts in America; From George Washington to Woodstock
August 17, 2014
Travel with lofty purpose really began when it was accessible only to a small and privileged class with unlimited time to travel.Obama’s Extravagant Summer Break? More Like, America’s Vacation-Deficit Disorder
August 10, 2014
Historical Examples of lofty
He regarded the lofty ridges and the deep gaps with apprehension.The Rock of Chickamauga
Joseph A. Altsheler
This lofty and blase greeting can come from none other than Roland Barnette.The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
Such absolute and lofty ideas they are, that they can descend to no compromise.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
You retain your lofty calm: but inside you are little quivers of rapture.The Forest
Stewart Edward White
In a lofty way he received the attentions of the multitudes of strange gods.White Fang
- of majestic or imposing height
- exalted or noble in character or nature
- haughty or supercilious
- elevated, eminent, or superior