- lasting a relatively long time: “Feed” has a longer sound than “feet” or “fit.”
- belonging to a class of sounds considered as usually longer in duration than another class, as the vowel of bought as compared to that of but, and in many languages serving as a distinctive feature of phonemes, as the ah in German Bahn in contrast with the a in Bann, or the tt in Italian fatto in contrast with the t in fato (opposed to short (def. 16b)).
- having the sound of the English vowels in mate, meet, mite, mote, moot, and mute, historically descended from vowels that were long in duration.
- marked by a large difference in the numbers of the given betting ratio or in the amounts wagered: long odds.
- of or relating to the larger amount bet.
OTHER WORDS FOR long
Idioms about long
- provided that: As long as you can come by six, I'll be here.
- seeing that; since: As long as you're going to the grocery anyway, buy me a pint of ice cream.
- Also so long as. during the time that; through the period that: As long as we were neighbors, they never invited us inside their house.
Origin of long1
OTHER WORDS FROM longlongly, adverblongness, noun
Words nearby long
Other definitions for long (2 of 5)
Origin of long2
synonym study for long
Other definitions for long (3 of 5)
Other definitions for long (4 of 5)
Other definitions for long (5 of 5)
How to use long in a sentence
The minute-long ads will run on TV and digital platforms, according to the Biden campaign.Election live updates: Trump returns to Wisconsin; Biden to face live audience at town hall|Colby Itkowitz, Felicia Sonmez, John Wagner|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
Enforcing Bastian’s order may be difficult, since some of the policies preceded DeJoy and have been long underway.Federal judge issues temporary injunction against USPS operational changes amid concerns about mail slowdowns|Elise Viebeck, Jacob Bogage|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
These explainers may not be on every video—after all, most clips on the platform are 30 seconds long—but you should definitely look for them in the creator’s feed.Use TikTok to build the perfect workout|Sandra Gutierrez G.|September 17, 2020|Popular-Science
She tested very good for a long period of time, and all of a sudden today she tested positive.Trump contradicts CDC director on vaccine; Biden says Americans shouldn’t trust Trump|Colby Itkowitz, Felicia Sonmez, John Wagner|September 16, 2020|Washington Post
Without that answer, the Clippers now prepare for yet another offseason that will end up being longer than it should have been — exactly what their stars were supposed to insulate them from.When It Comes To Playoff Disappointment, The Clippers Are In A League Of Their Own|Chris Herring (email@example.com)|September 16, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
In other words, fluoride is a broad-spectrum, bipartisan, long-lasting magnet for dissent.Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers|Michael Schulson|July 27, 2016|DAILY BEAST
And they might not have to wait that long to show their political heft.Asian-Americans Are The New Florida|Tim Mak|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The plan is to stretch it out as long as possible, then probably forget about it, and then suddenly remember it.‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed Spills Season 6 Secrets, From Surreal Plotlines to Life Post-ISIS|Marlow Stern|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Great American leaders have long contributed profound thoughts of tremendous consequence to the public discourse.Huckabee 2016: Bend Over and Take It Like a Prisoner!|Olivia Nuzzi|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“Lockheed Martin has a long history of misrepresenting facts,” Wheeler added.Pentagon Misfires in Stealth Jet Scandal|Dave Majumdar|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
It was a decayed house of superb proportions, but of a fashion long passed away.Checkmate|Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
As long as may be necessary, Sam,” replied Mr. Pickwick, “you have my full permission to remain.The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, v. 2(of 2)|Charles Dickens
Ages back—let musty geologists tell us how long ago—'twas a lake, larger than the Lake of Geneva.
I hate to be long at my toilette at any time; but to delay much in such a matter while travelling is folly.
She sat straight up in bed, and jerked her hands to her head, and screamed long and terribly.The Homesteader|Oscar Micheaux
British Dictionary definitions for long (1 of 6)
- (postpositive) of a specified number of units in extent or durationthree hours long
- (in combination)a two-foot-long line
- of relatively considerable duration
- classified as long, as distinguished from the quality of other vowels
- (in popular usage) denoting the qualities of the five English vowels in such words as mate, mete, mite, moat, moot, and mute
- denoting a vowel of relatively great duration or (esp in classical verse) followed by more than one consonant
- denoting a syllable containing such a vowel
- (in verse that is not quantitative) carrying the emphasis or ictus
- for or during just the length of time that
- inasmuch as; since
- provided that; if
Word Origin for long
British Dictionary definitions for long (2 of 6)
Word Origin for long
British Dictionary definitions for long (3 of 6)
Word Origin for long
British Dictionary definitions for long (4 of 6)
British Dictionary definitions for long (5 of 6)
British Dictionary definitions for long (6 of 6)
Other Idioms and Phrases with long
In addition to the idioms beginning with long
- long ago
- long and short of it, the
- long arm of the law, the
- long face
- long haul
- long in the tooth
- long shot, a
- long suit
- long time no see
- as long as
- at (long) last
- before long
- come a long way
- (long) drawn out
- go a long way toward
- happy as the day is long
- in the long run
- make a long story short
- so long
Also see underlonger.