- any of various small parrots, especially of the genus Agapornis, of Africa, noted for the affection shown one another and often kept as pets.
- lovebirds, a pair of lovers, especially a married couple who show very close mutual love and concern.
Origin of lovebird
First recorded in 1585–95
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of several small African parrots of the genus Agapornis, often kept as cage birds
- another name for budgerigar
- informal a loverthe lovebirds are in the garden