- any of various small parrots, especially of the genus Agapornis, of Africa, noted for the affection shown one another and often kept as pets.
- lovebirds, a pair of lovers, especially a married couple who show very close mutual love and concern.
Origin of lovebird
First recorded in 1585–95
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsheartthrob, paramour, companion, lover, girlfriend, darling, boyfriend, honey, love, suitor, pet, beau, treasure, steady, truelove, swain, flame, beloved, admirer, dear
- any of several small African parrots of the genus Agapornis, often kept as cage birds
- another name for budgerigar
- informal a loverthe lovebirds are in the garden
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012