- a grand duchy surrounded by Germany, France, and Belgium. 999 sq. mi. (2585 sq. km).
- a city in and the capital of this grand duchy.
- a province in SE Belgium: formerly a part of the grand duchy of Luxembourg. 1706 sq. mi. (4420 sq. km). Capital: Arlon.
Examples from the Web for luxembourg
He and I had just done that box office epic Wing Commander and became great friends while we were shooting in Luxembourg.‘She’s All That' 15th Anniversary: Cast and Crew Reminisce About the Making of the ‘90s Classic
January 29, 2014
Fourteen years ago, Hagel criticized a Bill Clinton nominee as ambassador to Luxembourg as being “openly, aggressively gay.”The Proxy War Against Chuck Hagel at the Pentagon Is Really About Obama
January 8, 2013
That company shoots in Miami, has offices in Canada and Los Angeles, and is based out of Luxembourg.Porn’s New HIV Problem
September 2, 2011
Coming off those victories, she became the RNC co-chairwoman before Bush appointed her to be ambassador to Luxembourg.The Next Michael Steele
The Daily Beast
January 14, 2011
Coming off those victories, she became the RNC co-chairwoman before Bush appointed her to the Luxembourg diplomatic post.The Republicans' Next Female Leader?
December 2, 2010
To-day the basin of the Luxembourg is bright with little boats.
I do not think she will ever enter the garden of the Luxembourg again.
I was gazing idly at the footpath opposite, which is bounded by the Luxembourg railings.My Double Life
Make haste to Luxembourg, and be upon your guard on the way.The Memoirs of Cardinal de Retz, Complete
Jean Francois Paul de Gondi, Cardinal de Retz
The late M. de Luxembourg had declared it so, and had avoided it.The Memoirs of Louis XIV., His Court and The Regency, Complete
Duc de Saint-Simon
- a grand duchy in W Europe: it formed the Benelux customs union with the Belgium and the Netherlands in 1948 and was a founder member of the Common Market, now the European Union. Languages: French, German, and Luxemburgish. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: euro. Capital: Luxembourg. Pop: 514 862 (2013 est). Area: 2586 sq km (999 sq miles)
- the capital of Luxembourg, on the Alzette River: an industrial centre. Pop: 77 300 (2003 est)
- a province in SE Belgium, in the Ardennes. Capital: Arlon. Pop: 254 120 (2004 est). Area: 4416 sq km (1705 sq miles)
Word Origin and History for luxembourg
European state, from Germanic lutilla "little" + burg "fort, castle." Related: Luxembourgeois; Luxembourger. Hence also lushburg (mid-14c.), Middle English word for "a base coin made in imitation of the sterling or silver penny and imported from Luxemburg in the reign of Edward III" [OED].