- an assemblage of machines or mechanical apparatuses: the machinery of a factory.
- the parts of a machine, collectively: the machinery of a watch.
- a group of people or a system by which action is maintained or by which some result is obtained: the machinery of government.
- a group of contrivances for producing stage effects.
- the group or aggregate of literary machines, especially those of supernatural agency (epic machinery) in an epic poem.
Origin of machinery
SynonymsSee more synonyms for machinery on Thesaurus.com
3. organization, structure, setup.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for machinery
In the same way, bikes no longer look to me like a single mass of machinery.Biking With the Bard
December 28, 2014
While not all 86 million maintain positions of governance or public service, the Party's machinery runs on watchmaker precision.China’s Internet Is Freer Than You Think
December 27, 2014
We have provided the machinery to restore our financial system; it is up to you to support and make it work.FDR: King of All Media
September 2, 2014
Westport is also working with machinery giant Caterpillar on new locomotives.Diesel Trains May Soon Use Natural Gas Instead
The Daily Beast
May 27, 2014
Only the public can shut down the machinery of death—if it sees it killing.The Supreme Court Will Never Kill the Death Penalty, Even With Botched Executions
May 1, 2014
As yet the use of machinery and artificial manure is almost unknown.The Roof of France
He had even designed the machinery for making and laying the cable.Heroes of the Telegraph
There was trouble in that place—moaning, splashing, gurgling, and the clank of machinery.American Notes
Machinery is a triumph of handicraft as truly as sculpture and architecture.
It always seemed to me as though she were stuffed, and as though she moved by machinery.My Double Life
- machines, machine parts, or machine systems collectively
- a particular machine system or set of machines
- a system similar to a machinethe machinery of government
- literary devices used for effect in epic poetry
Word Origin and History for machinery
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper