- having or characterized by qualities considered manly, especially when manifested in an assertive, self-conscious, or dominating way.
- having a strong or exaggerated sense of power or the right to dominate.
- Also ma·cho·ism. assertive or aggressive manliness; machismo.
- an assertively virile, dominating, or domineering male.
Origin of macho
Examples from the Web for macho
Contemporary Examples of macho
It seemed that I, a staunch feminist, had found myself in the epicenter of macho culture.The Moms of Monster Jam Drive Trucks, Buck Macho Culture
November 22, 2014
And Pratt is at once macho, charming, and droll; a Han Solo for the Facebook generation.The Next Han Solo: Chris Pratt on His Star-Making Turn in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’
July 22, 2014
Oh sure, the Super Bowl and all its macho imitators are commemorations of some repulsive male urge best ignored.Does Fatherhood Make Men Healthier?
June 14, 2014
They instill a macho culture right from the start of childhood.Game of Thrones’ Sibel Kekilli Discusses Shae’s Treachery at the Trial of Tyrion Lannister
May 13, 2014
Ironically, the old religious view made room for a not particularly pious variety of macho “justice”-seeking.Money and Guns: How We Escape Our Existential Dread
April 18, 2014
Historical Examples of macho
He then refastened his macho, adding for additional security a piece of whipcord, which he said rendered escape impossible.
He then re-fastened his macho, adding for additional security a piece of whipcord, which he said rendered escape impossible.
- denoting or exhibiting pride in characteristics believed to be typically masculine, such as physical strength, sexual appetite, etc
- a man who displays such characteristics
Word Origin for macho
1928 (n.) "tough guy," from Spanish macho "male animal," noun use of adjective meaning "masculine, virile," from Latin masculus (see masculine). As an adjective, first attested in English 1959.
- Short for massive astrophysical compact halo object.Any of various massive dark objects, such as a brown dwarf star, black hole, or large planet, found in a galactic halo. MACHOs are thought to make up at least a part of the dark matter that apparently pervades much of the universe.
The often exaggerated, aggressive virility of a male: “Jim likes to wear a torn T-shirt and a black leather jacket when he rides his motorcycle. I guess he thinks it makes him look macho.” The original Spanish word means “male.”