- Nathaniel,1758–1837, U.S. politician: Speaker of the House 1801–07.
- a city in central Georgia.
- a city in and the capital of Saône-et-Loire, in E central France.
- a Burgundy wine, usually white and dry, from the area around Mâcon.
- a department in E France. 3331 sq. mi. (8625 sq. km). Capital: Mâcon.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for macon
Lane the lawyer will be down in Macon, heartsick that the two are still incarcerated.Free Demaryius Thomas’s Mom After 14 Years on a Drug Charge
January 30, 2014
While touring the country, she encountered a talented singer from Macon who flirted with her.Speed Read: 8 Juiciest Bits From R&B Diva Bettye LaVette’s Memoir ‘A Woman Like Me’
September 18, 2012
That would surely cement her star status as the toast of the Macon County church missionary club for years to come.Piers Morgan Vs. Touré: How the CNN Host Blew It
March 31, 2012
Nancy Grace says similar things in a Macon, Georgia, accent.Nancy Grace Has Feelings, Too
July 9, 2011
Erickson, a native Louisianan and former lawyer who lives in Macon, Georgia, sets the deceptively moderate tone.The New Republican War Room
March 27, 2010
Mrs. Macon was nominated for regent of the State University.
The Macon Telegraph said of negro labor: "If we lose it, we go bankrupt."Negro Migration during the War
Emmett J. Scott
Your surmise was correct about the gang heading for Macon City.
When the news got into the papers at last, it came from Macon, Georgia.A Book of Burlesques
H. L. Mencken
If questioned, we can say that we are going to visit some friends at Macon.No Surrender!
G. A. Henty
- a city in the US, in central Georgia, on the Ocmulgee River. Pop: 95 267 (2003 est)
- a city in E central France, in the Saône valley: a centre of the wine-producing region of lower Burgundy. Pop: 34 469 (1999)
- a red or white wine from the Mâcon area, heavier than the other burgundies
- a department of central France, in Burgundy region. Capital: Mâcon. Pop: 543 848 (2003 est). Area: 8627 sq km (3365 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012