- to increase the apparent size of, as a lens does.
- to make greater in actual size; enlarge: to magnify a drawing in preparing for a fresco.
- to cause to seem greater or more important; attribute too much importance to; exaggerate: to magnify one's difficulties.
- to make more exciting; intensify; dramatize; heighten: The playwright magnified the conflict to get her point across.
- Archaic. to extol; praise: to magnify the Lord.
- to increase or be able to increase the apparent or actual size of an object.
Origin of magnify
Synonyms for magnifySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for magnify
Related Words for magnifyaggravate, deepen, multiply, enhance, inflate, heighten, amplify, overstate, overestimate, pyramid, ennoble, dignify, redouble, distend, dilate, eulogize, increase, exalt, pad, boost
Examples from the Web for magnify
Historical Examples of magnify
Let them (the gods) declare, let them magnify, let them sing his praises.The Babylonian Legends of the Creation
Here is a man whom those that magnify him the least confess to be a good man, the best of men.A Dish Of Orts
Magnify that immensely, increase enormously the noise, and one had the War!Changing Winds
St. John G. Ervine
Age is commonly boastful, and inclined to magnify past acts and past times.King Henry the Fifth
We are awe-struck at their power, and magnify the mystery of their existence.By the Christmas Fire
Samuel McChord Crothers
- to increase, cause to increase, or be increased in apparent size, as through the action of a lens, microscope, etc
- to exaggerate or become exaggerated in importancedon't magnify your troubles
- (tr) rare to increase in actual size
- (tr) archaic to glorify
Word Origin for magnify
late 14c., "to speak or act for the glory or honor (of someone or something)," from Old French magnefiier "glorify, magnify," from Latin magnificare "esteem greatly, extol, make much of," from magnificus "great, elevated, noble" (see magnificence). Meaning "use a telescope or microscope" is first attested 1660s, said to be a unique development in English. Related: Magnified; magnifying.
- To increase the apparent size of, especially with a lens.