- the act of a person or thing that makes: The making of a violin requires great skill.
- structure; constitution; makeup.
- the means or cause of success or advancement: to be the making of someone.
- Usually makings. capacity or potential: He has the makings of a first-rate officer.
- something made.
- the quantity made: a making of butter.
- in the making, in the process of being made; developing or evolving; growing: Our space scientists see history in the making.
Origin of making
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for makings
In short, it had all the makings of a nuclear attack drill, part of an escalation in long-range Russian operations worldwide.US & Russia Re-Arming for a New Cold War
September 30, 2014
Throw in an X-Man whose special power is preserving religious liberty and you have the makings of a movie franchise.Rick Santorum’s Hobby Lobby Horror Movie
July 2, 2014
For Schwarzenegger fans like me, the movie had all the makings of a breakthrough.Is This the End of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Comeback?
March 30, 2014
He demonstrated that he had the makings of a future Marine after his mother sent him on a last minute errand to a nearby deli.Why Was My Son Killed in Fallujah—and His Murderer Set Free?
January 12, 2014
Coming to America in late 1774, already approaching 40, Paine not only had all the makings of a radical.We Are Radicals at Heart: A New History Gets America Wrong
Harvey J. Kaye
December 5, 2013
"It'll be the makings of the boy," he said to Mrs. Bines in her son's presence.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
You were all spoiling for a fight—and there did seem to be the makings of a beautiful row!Good Indian
B. M. Bower
Now the chance is 97 yours to prove that you have the makings of a man.Out of the Depths
Robert Ames Bennet
You're not fit for it, lad; you have only the makings of a dominie.Gilian The Dreamer
He has the makings of a good man, only he has let himself drift so terribly.Doctor Luttrell's First Patient
Rosa Nouchette Carey
- potentials, qualities, or materialshe had the makings of a leader
- Also called: rollings slang the tobacco and cigarette paper used for rolling a cigarette
- profits; earnings
- the act of a person or thing that makes or the process of being made
- (in combination)watchmaking
- be the making of to cause the success of
- in the making in the process of becoming or being madea politician in the making
- something made or the quantity of something made at one time
- make-up; composition