- the condition of being ready.
- ready movement; promptness; quickness.
- ready action; ease; facility.
- willingness; inclination; cheerful consent: a readiness to help others.
- a developmental stage at which a child has the capacity to receive instruction at a given level of difficulty or to engage in a particular activity.
Origin of readiness
Related Words for readinesswillingness, keenness, preparation, preparedness, fitness, dexterity, adroitness, facility, sleight, dispatch, alacrity, promptness, fluency, rapidity, ease, expedition, inclination, prowess, quickness, address
Examples from the Web for readiness
Contemporary Examples of readiness
The lesson we learned is to increase our readiness and responsiveness.Shocked by Ukraine Violence, NATO Prepares to Face Down Putin
October 12, 2014
The one thing everyone seems to agree on is readiness of the Internet.YouTube, Netflix, and the Death of Television
November 14, 2013
In this “new” Arab world, there is growing curiosity and readiness to challenge the conventions of the old regimes.5 Arab Spring Opportunities For Israel
Nimrod Goren, Elie Podeh
June 20, 2013
An additional 6% cut atop those previous problems begins to look like a serious challenge to readiness and effectiveness.I Repeat: Where are the Defense Hawks When They're Needed?
March 2, 2013
The readiness of the Afghan police and Army is an even greater concern.U.S. Has Few Good Options on Afghan Peace Ahead of NATO Summit
April 28, 2012
Historical Examples of readiness
Hold thyself in readiness to come down upon the first summons.Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9)
The talkers were putting the anaesthetizing-room in readiness for the afternoon.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
At last, on the eve of the happy day, everything was in readiness.The Dream
They, with the three on watch, were to get the vessel in readiness for immediate departure.The Monster Men
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Trapper Jim was getting some of the bear meat in readiness for cooking.With Trapper Jim in the North Woods
Lawrence J. Leslie
- the state of being ready or prepared, as for use or action
- in readiness
- prepared and waitingall was in readiness for the guests' arrival
- in preparation forhe tidied the house in readiness for the guests' arrival
- willingness or eagerness to do something
- ease or promptness