- wishing evil or harm to another or others; showing ill will; ill-disposed; malicious: His failures made him malevolent toward those who were successful.
- evil; harmful; injurious: a malevolent inclination to destroy the happiness of others.
- Astrology. evil or malign in influence.
Origin of malevolent
Related Words for malevolentlymaliciously, severely, furiously, brutally, viciously, passionately, forcefully, frantically, angrily, madly, wildly, boldly, savagely, mightily, vehemently, ferociously, treacherously, unscrupulously, basely, crookedly
Examples from the Web for malevolently
Historical Examples of malevolently
"Hullo," he growled, stopping short and eying him malevolently with lowered head.Good Indian
B. M. Bower
Then I moved away, conscious that her eyes followed me malevolently.The Trail of '98
Robert W. Service
The Indians stared at me malevolently, but offered me no abuse.A Virginia Scout
Jim opened his mouth in a grin, and gazed long and malevolently at his questioner.Aaron's Rod
D. H. Lawrence
"I've been trying to understand him for twenty-five years," the other said malevolently.Carnac's Folly, Complete
- wishing or appearing to wish evil to others; malicious
- astrology having an evil influence