[mahn, man for 1, 3; man for 2]
- Heinrich [hahyn-rik; German hahyn-rikh] /ˈhaɪn rɪk; German ˈhaɪn rɪx/, 1871–1950, German novelist and dramatist, in the U.S. after 1940 (brother of Thomas Mann).
- Horace,1796–1859, U.S. educational reformer: instrumental in establishing the first normal school in the U.S. 1839.
- Thom·as [tom-uh s; German toh-mahs] /ˈtɒm əs; German ˈtoʊ mɑs/, 1875–1955, German novelist and critic, in the U.S. after 1937: Nobel prize 1929.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for mann
But when the ship arrives at the planet, they discover Dr. Mann—played by none other than Matt Damon.Christopher Nolan Explains Interstellar’s Big, Hotly Debated Twist
November 19, 2014
On the second planet, they encounter a marooned astronaut named Dr. Mann, and a fistfight ensues.
What did you think of the fistfight sequence between Cooper and Mann on the second planet?
“I think, with Hopkins, he finally found some happiness,” Mann said.
Gibby was the most fascinating of the three for Mann, “because she was the most desperate.”
The Mann Ranges were also clearly visible about ten miles off.
The Mann Ranges are very high and rough, and are composed of reddish granite.
"Certainly, nine—or half past eight, if you choose," said Mann.
Mann's face was a shade more purple for an instant, but he went on, unctuously.
Go on with you, I know Mr. Mann too well to believe such a yarn.From Farm to Fortune
Horatio Alger Jr.
- Heinrich (ˈhainrɪç). 1871–1950, German novelist: works include Professor Unrat (1905), which was filmed as The Blue Angel (1928), and Man of Straw (1918)
- his brother, Thomas (ˈtoːmas). 1875–1955, German novelist, in the US after 1937. His works deal mainly with the problem of the artist in bourgeois society and include the short story Death in Venice (1913) and the novels Buddenbrooks (1900), The Magic Mountain (1924), and Doctor Faustus (1947): Nobel prize for literature 1929
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012